Vocabby’s World is a community vocabulary program in partnership with the McWane Science Center and sponsored by PNC. The adventures of Vocabby take pre-K children on travels around the world as they learn vocabulary words through science and arts concepts. Through this partnership, the Alys Stephens Center is providing hands-on activities that reach families in the Woodlawn and Norwood neighborhoods. Free books, curriculum and art materials reinforce the new vocabulary learned.
Vocabby’s World also engages local community partners with the Passport Program, a word scavenger hunt. Each month, neighborhood merchants (see below for complete list) will display vocabulary posters related to items in their businesses. Participating children will receive passports with the target words, and when the children locate the word in their community businesses, they can get their passports stamped for points.
The third Saturday of each month
9:30am – Woodlawn UMC
139 54th St N, Birmingham, AL 35212
11:30am – Norwood Elementary School gymnasium
3136 Norwood Blvd, Birmingham, AL 35234
Vocabby’s World Passport Locations
1. Woodlawn Cycle Café- 5530 1st Ave S
2. 55th Place Thrift Store- 5 55th Place S
3. City Meats- 5535 1st Avenue North
4. Club Duquette – 17 55th Place S
5. 1st Avenue Upholstery- 5507 1st Avenue North
6. It’s Linda’s Beauty Salon- 7 55th Place S
7. The Shop & Basics- 5812 1st Avenue North